A collection of my fan art pieces in ‘pen and ink style’ of my favorite characters in Nolan’s Batman Trilogy.
Fear, chaos, pain.
When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die.
“There’s a storm coming, Mr. Wayne. You and your friends better batton down the hatches, ‘cause when it hits you’re all gonna wonder how you ever thought you could live so large and leave so little for the rest of us.”
The Dark Knight Rises
Except this time, I’m going to just run down the reasons in bullet points. That way some of the more slow Anne Hathaway detractors (see: most of them from what I can tell) can keep up.
So here we go. Reasons the hate for Anne Hathaway as Catwoman is unfounded and/or idiotic:
- You’ve gone and judged a movie nearly a year before it has even been released (and before we’ve even seen a full theatrical trailer for crying out loud) based on one actor and some blurry set photos that will look nothing like the finished product.
- “Anne Hathaway can’t act.” is a common complaint I’ve read. Have you forgotten or do you not know that she was nominated for one of those naked golden dudes?
- “Anne Hathaway only every plays bubbly princesses.” is another common complaint. You’re right, she’s never shown she has some range. Are any of those Selina Kyle? Probably not, but it doesn’t change the fact that she has range and does play other than “bubbly princess.”
- The Princess Diaries (a movie I frequently see sourced as a reason Hathaway will suck as Catwoman) was over ten years ago. That’s a lot of time to grow and mature as an actor and a person.
- Speaking of Hathaway and her less-than-substantial early roles, there’s this one dude who, for the early part of his career, was only playing pretty boys. His roles existed almost exclusively to attract women (and maybe their boyfriends/husbands, who would maybe be dragged along) to the theater due to the potential that he might just take his shirt off. Then directors like Spielberg and Scorcese saw that despite those thin roles, he was damn good, and gave him a chance as a serious actor. What’s that dude’s name again? Oh, yes; Leonardo DiCaprio.
- I distinctly remember the same sort of complaints about Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker. How’d all that “I’m not going to watch the gay cowboy be the Joker” shit work out for ya?
- Nolan chose Hathaway. Nolan doesn’t just arbitrarily make these decisions. He saw something in Hathaway’s auditions that fit whatever his interpretation of Selina Kyle is.
- “She’s not sexy enough.”. Oh fuck you, you sexist asshole. Hathaway is pretty damn gorgeous, and your reasoning behind why she can’t be Catwoman is she just isn’t gorgeous enough? All you want Selina Kyle to be is a deposit in your spank bank, huh? Well that tells me Nolan’s flicks are way too smart for you. Maybe you should just go watch Catwoman. That seems more your speed.